Worker's Compensation

If you have been injured at work, you may be entitled to workers' compensation benefits. As long as the injury is work-related, injuries such as these are covered:
  • A back or neck injury caused by heavy lifting
  • A sprain caused by falling over office equipment
  • Carpal tunnel syndrome or other repetitive stress injuries resulting from repetitive typing or factory work
  • Respiratory problems caused by toxic chemical exposure
  • Mental illness triggered by stressful job conditions

You would be entitled to the following benefits:

  • Weekly benefits while you are temporarily totally disabled and unable to work.
  • Payment of your medical expenses.
  • Weekly payments or a lump sum payment for partial or total disability resulting from a work related injury.

It is also important to know that injured workers receive benefits regardless of fault. In addition, if another person or company other than a co-worker or your employer caused your injuries, you may also be entitled to compensation for your pain and suffering.

What Should You Do If You Are Injured At Work?
If you suffer an on-the-job injury, you should report the injury to your employer immediately, even if you believe your injury is minor and regardless of whose fault the injury was. The Workers' Compensation Act requires workers to provide a written notice to their employers within 30 days of the injury.

Where Do I Go For Medical Care? Do I Have to See a Company Doctor?
By law, the employer is required to provide you with a list of three (3) doctors from whom you can receive treatment. If you chose to receive treatment from one of these three doctors, the employer or it's insurance carrier is required to pay for the doctors fees. You may chose not to go to of these doctors but to a doctor of your choosing but if you do that, then the employer is not required to pay the doctor fee and you are responsible to pay the doctor fee.

What If My Workers' Compensation Benefits are Denied?
If your claim has been denied, or it is taking too long to receive your benefits, you should call Johnson, Scruggs & Barfield immediately. If your claim has been denied, it is up to the injured worker to file an action to recover his/her benefits. Therefore, you should hire us immediately.

When Should I Consult an Attorney?
As soon as possible. Even if you are already receiving workers' compensation benefits, it is important to have an experienced attorney on your side, who knows the law and can make sure that you are receiving all the benefits that you are entitled to. You cannot rely on your employer or the insurance company to explain your rights to you, and employers and insurance companies often fail to give complete and accurate information to injured workers. Also, the company doctor or the insurance company may try to send you back to work too soon, or your employer may offer you a "light duty" position that is beyond your restrictions. You need to know your rights. At Johnson, Scruggs & Barfield, we have extensive experience in handling all types of workers' compensation matters. We will zealously and effectively fight the insurance companies with the knowledge, passion and commitment necessary to succeed.

Can I Receive A Lump Sum Settlement of My Workers' Compensation Benefits?
In many cases, injured workers are eligible to receive a lump sum settlement of their workers' compensation claims. The amount of a lump sum settlement is determined by the seriousness of the injured worker's injuries and the amount of the injured worker's earnings. At Johnson, Scruggs & Barfield, our goal is to always obtain the largest settlement possible for all of our clients. Our workers' compensation attorneys make sure that every person and family we represent receives our undivided attention, maximum effort and extraordinary service. To ensure that you are receiving all compensation benefits that you are entitled to, call Johnson, Scruggs & Barfield. today to speak with one of our workers' compensation lawyers. At Johnson, Scruggs & Barfield, we welcome the opportunity to meet with you to discuss your workers' compensation case.

Act Promptly
There are time limits for you to act, called statutes of limitations, which require you to bring a lawsuit within a limited period or risk losing the right to seek a recovery. If you have any questions, you should contact us by either clicking here for e-mail or call us at 615-352-8326.